hist-brewing: Egg whites in mead

Shane Foster sorcerer at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Tue Mar 2 07:41:31 PST 1999

What sort of ratio are we talking about here? How many tablespoons (eggs?)
per gallon?  Does it affect the taste any?  How long does the clearing
take before bottling?  (Gee can you tell I'm excited about this little
discovery? I've been wondering how I can clear up my meads without using
chemicals so I can enter them in period brewing contests).

Shane Foster

> The addition of egg whites was used as a clearing agent.
> I have experimented with it and it works.
> It is used like the modern chemicals and such of modern days.
>
> Anything else?
>
> Eric Rhude
> --
> QVI CONVERTERIET HAEC IMMODICE LITTERATVS EST
>
> >Greetings Lords and Ladies,
> >I have seen several recipies which call for the addition of eggs or egg
> >whites in Mead and a few wine recipies.  I have yet to find a reference
> >as to what the eggs were included for.
> <snip>
> >Inservice,
> >Morgan the Vintner

> owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com

AEthelstan King,  lord of eorls,
Ring-bestower,  and also his brother,
Edmund AEtheling,  won with the sword-edge
Lifelong glory  in battle at Brunanburh.
                          - Excerpt from 'The Battle of Brunanburh'.