hist-brewing: Manchurian barley

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Sat Feb 27 06:05:01 PST 1999

bjm10 at cornell.edu wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Jeff Renner wrote:
>
>> The only help I can give you off hand is that is was called Manchurian
>>barley.
>
>By whom and in what context?

See the sidebar to the Brewing Techniques article I referred to in an
earlier post [you didn't read it thoroughly, did you? ;-)  ]
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/bmg/schwarzsb2.html :

"All modern midwestern six-row malting barley cultivars can trace their
ancestry to barley from northern China (Manchurian types). Manchurian-type
barleys gained favor in the northern Great Plains because they suited the
regional growing conditions."

And regarding prohibition beer:

>> include early post prohibition lagers, and this is certainly what Scarface
>> Brewery of Chicago would have produced during the 20's.
>
>And the rumors regarding soybean usage were just that.  Makes sense to me.

Soybeans have been used in small amounts at times in American beer, but
they make no sense economically.  They are high in protein and low in
carbohydrates, high in fats (if not defatted), strongly flavored, and much
more expensive than corn.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan c/o nerenner at umich.edu