hist-brewing: Classic American Pilsner

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 26 11:55:34 PST 1999

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Jeff Renner wrote:

> not, let me tell you about a pet project of mine (friends would call it a
> zealous mission), Classic American Pilsner (CAP).  This is a name I gave
> (and which has become accepted in the HBD community of homebrewers, at

I knew that your name looked familiar!  Once I get a brewpot with a
spigot on the bottom, I'm going to take another crack at it.  My current
method of ladling mash into the lauter tun is fine for ales, but
pilsners are too delicate for such maltreatment.  Quackie Doodle (recipe
formulated from your guidelines) turned out to be drinkable, but far less
than dandy.

> include early post prohibition lagers, and this is certainly what Scarface
> Brewery of Chicago would have produced during the 20's.

And the rumors regarding soybean usage were just that.  Makes sense to me.