hist-brewing: historic barley types

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 25 06:20:15 PST 1999

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Jeff Renner wrote:

> bjm10 at cornell.edu asked regarding 2-row vs. 6-row:
> Sorry, I don't know what "bear" is.  No, 6-row is much older than that in
> the US, but is never used in Europe for brewing.

A type of barley used in Scotland, allegedly inferior to the English
varieties--it was a "four-row" barley, according to Greg Noonan.  It
wasn't a true four-row, but I forget the specific details.

> From the article I recommended, and still do, "A Comparison of North
> American Two-Row and
> Six-Row Malting Barley" by Paul Schwarz and Richard Horsley at
> http://brewingtechniques.com/bmg/schwarz.html :

I read it, and it still didn't definitively answer my question regarding
exactly when and where from six-row was bred.

> introduced it to Mexico and the American Southwest. The imported English
> two-row barley enjoyed adequate growing conditions on the coast, but as
> production spread into western New York, six-row barley production
> dominated because of the climate."

But where did this six-row barley come from?