hist-brewing: GIN History

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 07:02:18 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/22/99 10:45:33 PM EST, arinwald at waveone.net writes:

<< Does anyone know any history behind gin such as nationality/region of
 origin and the time period it was first made? >>

	You'll probably get much better answers than this.
	In 19th century English stories set in the 17th century, gin is referred to
as Geneva gin, or Genever gin, or just Genever.  I presume from this that it
was _thought_ to have originated in Switzerland.  I have also seen it referred
to as Holland gin, but assume that this refers to the importation route, at
least initially.

	I'll be interested to see what answers others come up with,	Scotti