Fermentation as preservation (wasRe: hist-brewing: Retro-documentation)

Beth Ann Snead ladypeyton at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 15:07:26 PST 1999

I just wnated to drop a line to say that I have every intention of
getting to this question, I had just come out of the preparing for the
class I taught las tSaturday and some silly fool handed me a job so I
have had NO itme to actually sit down and reply to this.

Beth Ann
Peyton in the SCA

---Nick Sasso <Njs at mccalla.com> wrote:

> Thank you so very much for posting anything you run across.  I'll look
> for this source you listed.  Mayhaps some of my herbal or cooking
> friends has this at hand.  Let me know if there would be anything I
> could assist you with as well.
>
> Likewise, I'll try to get a borrowed copy of Gerard's Herbal to paruse
> on these items.  Very late period, but a good source.
>
>  pace e bene
>
> niccolo difrancesco
>

> <<<<You'll have to grant me some time to reply in full to this post as
> I'm
> pushing the deadline for writing the  handout for a class I'm teaching
> Saturday.  Since I'll be running through the sources this week anyway
> I'll put them up here as I run across them.  The first is post period
> but does fit the request for sources that proscribe fermentation as
> preservation:
>
> Bonnefons, Nicholas de.  _The French Gardener: instructing how to
> cultivate all sorts of fruit trees, and herbs for the garden:
> together with directions to dry and conserve them in their natural_
> translated by John Evelyn from the French.  London:  1658. 294p.>>>

hist-brewing-digest, if