Al Korzonas korz at xnet.com
Tue Feb 2 16:08:31 PST 1999

BJM writes:
>Ah, so it's the "wineberry".
>
>In case anyone is wondering, in all Slavic, Germanic, and Romance
>languages, the word for "wine" is virtually a cognate of every other
>language's word for the beverage.

Ah, but Lithuanian is Baltic (as is Latvian), not Slavic.  Baltic
languages are on their own branch of the Indo-european tree.  Incidentally,
in support of my "oldest, unchanged, living language" claim (I believe
that "written" needs to be in there also as a qualifier), I've spoken to
an Indian woman who studied Sanscrit and we compared common words like
"milk," "bread," etc.... there are many common words.

Al.