hist-brewing: Peaches

Al Korzonas korz at xnet.com
Tue Feb 2 12:20:44 PST 1999

Beth Ann writes:
>- -The origins of the peach start in China in the third millenium B.C.
>- -It then crossed Persia reaching Rome in the time of Augustus.  They
>called it the Persian apple

Hmmm... that would explain why "peach" in Lithuanian (the oldest, unchanged,
living language) is "persikas."  Just for snicks, a few more Lithuanian
words:

uoga=berry
vynuoge=grape
vynas=wine
alus=beer
midus=mead
medus=honey
medis=tree
gira=a beer-like beverage made from old whole-grain bread and raisins

Just as an aside, since this is a historically-minded group, I've heard
that there is but one remaining royal blood line... the British one...
*but* its lineage dates back to Lithuanian royalty.

Another aside: reportedly the finest oak for barrelmaking is called "Memel"
or "Russian" oak.  "Memel" is the German name for "Klaipeda" the coastal
region of Lithuania.  The "Russian" association dates back to Czarist
times when Lithuania was part of Czarist Russia.  Actually in the 13th or
14th century, under Vytautas Didysis (The Great), Lithuania was the largest
country in Europe, stretching from the Baltic to the Black Sea.

Al (Algis, actually).

Al Korzonas, Palos Hills, IL
korz at brewinfo.org
http://www.brewinfo.org/brewinfo/