hist-brewing: Grape and Peach Wine Recipe

Beth Ann Snead ladypeyton at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 09:33:30 PST 1999

Arnald of Villanova's _Book of Wine_ has a usable recipe for period
grape wine.  I have never found a period peach wine recipe unless you
count the paragraph in Pliny's on Good Health"s reference that pears
and peaches are preserved the same way as apples and grapes and assume
that fermentation was considered to be one preservation technique.

_Wine and the Vine_ is a wonderful book for an overview of the history
and technique of vinting but you won't find any period recipes there.
I ALWAYS recommend that my students pick it up.

In the East Kingdom corks are pretty much ignored in Brewing
competitions.  Talk to the brewer's in your kingdom to see if this is
the same all over the SCA.

Wine drawn from wood tastes MORE historically accurate but you have to
worry about the wine oxidizing if you leave the wine in there long
term with any headspace at all.

Beth Ann
SCA Lady Peyton