hist-brewing: Cloudy Metheglyns.

J C Ronsen caleb at buffnet.net
Sun Jan 31 08:36:46 PST 1999

At 10:57 AM 1/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>The last year or so I've made an increasing number of metheglyns, and
>all of them has been cloudy or hazy to some degree.  The melomels, which
>is what i make most all seem to turn out just fine after 4 to 6 months,
>but the metheglyns seem to retain theii hazy appearance even after 6+
>months.
>The 1st metheglyn I ever made, still have a pint of it left is subject
>to the same problem.
>There are no particles left in it of any kind, and you can see through
>the bottle, but it isn't as clear as the melomels.
>I've checked with friends that make metheglyns that turn out just like
>my melomels and we haven't found any differences.  Could a small
>alteration in fermenting temperature, say 2 or 3 C/4-6F be the cause of
>it all ?

Remember, our ancient brewers didn't so much care for crystal clear brews.
A good deal of that haze you see in mead and beer is protein, a key part of
daily nutrition at that time period. Cloudy mead, while aesthetically
displeasing, doesn't make the mead taste any worse. Clear brews are really
a modern invention: Anhauser-Bush started filtering their beer around World
War I.

Generally speaking, if you want to make a "period" mead, let it stay
cloudy. If you want to make a batch of mead and you don't care if it's 100%
period, I suggest Irish Moss. I generally throw in a half tablespoon in the
last few minutes of the boil (or simmer if you don't like to boil honey)
and I've had great results.

ska: Lord Caleb Reynolds
mka: Caleb Ronsen
aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
The Scum of AEthelmearc
Known to millions as "Who's that?"
http://www.buffnet.net/~caleb/caleb.htm

Quid pro quest: Something for the Holy Grail.