hist-brewing: Grape and Peach Wine Recipe

Chris J. Caronna, R. Ph. ccaronna at swbell.net
Fri Jan 29 19:07:15 PST 1999

I am looking for a basic grape wine recipe (period that is 600-1600) to
use for documentation for an Arts and Sciences entry and have not found
one.  I found one in Cindy Renfrow's book but it is dated 1815, a bit
past SCA period.  I also have a peach wine I am very fond of and would
like to enter but have not found a period recipe to cite.  If anyone
knows where I can find one, I would appreciate it.

I was also looking at "Wine and the Vine"  by Tim Unwin if anyone has
read it and could give me a review before I spend the $30 to buy it.  I
hope it may have some period wine recipes for grape and/or peach wine.

Also, if you enter a wine, the cork is not period.  Do most people just
state it as so in their documentation or are there period wooden or
barrel containers available?  And how does one's wine taste drawn from
wood?

So many question, so little time (or knowledge?).

Thanks,
Morgan the Vintner
(Chris Caronna: ccaronna at swbell.net)