hist-brewing: Period Questions

Beth Ann Snead ladypeyton at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 08:29:54 PST 1999

 <<	The addition of sulfites to wine as a stabilizer does have period
> precedence. The Germans would burn sulfur candles in used wine barrels
> to "sweeten" them. The Sulfur dioxide created would then dissolve in
the newly
> added wine creating sulfites. This information comes from one
> of my American Wine Society Journals, but I'm to lazy to search
through
> the pile to find out which one it was.

I would watch out here.  Period wines were NOT stabilized.  Especially
German ones.  Sulfer strips were burned into barrels to purify them
before the next batch was made, similar to the way modern vinters use
campden tablets on their fruit 12-24 hours before they add their yeast
to kill of undesirable yeasts.  Period wines (especially Rhenish, from
the Rhine) were often used in recipes that involved adding fruit or
honey and then allowing it to re-ferment.  There is a recipe for
Clarrette in _Curye on Ynglische_and a similar one in _The Closet_
for Raspberry Wine.  In the recipe it clearly states the vessel isn't
to be "stopt up" until 7 days after the first infusion of raspberries.
It also mentions "Deal" wine which is a type of wine, again, from the
Rhine.

Beth Ann
Lettice, Lady Peyton in the SCA