hist-brewing: Use of amber, brown and oat malt

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Mon Jan 25 12:41:36 PST 1999

Brewers

You all may know that historically, amber and brown malts were used 100%
for amber ales and porters, until it the invention of the hydrometer
revealed that they gave less extract than pale malts.  This lead to the use
of enzyme and starch rich pale malts as base malts and darker malts for
color and flavor.

Hoping that Thomas Fawcett and Sons' * brown malt would work for recreating
an 18th Century porter, I was considering brewing one with 100% brown malt.
Other brewers have reported that the use of a significant percentage of
brown malt resulted in an astringent beer that took a good time to age out.
I wasn't concerned about this since 18th century porter was aged as long as
a year.  Darrell Leavitt of Plattsburgh, New York, at my encouragement,
tried it before I had a chance.  It was a failure.  I've posted his
experience below with his permission.

*( http://www.fawcett-maltsters.co.uk/welcom.htm  , distributed by Claude
Bechard, North Country Malt Supply, 12 Stewart St, PO Box 665, Rouses
Point, NY, 12979, 518-297-2604)

I then contacted Fawcett's and received a very nice prompt reply (also
posted below), which confirmed my suspicion that their brown malt has very
little diastatic power, and so is not identical to the historic brown malt.
Likewise for their amber.  (There are other producers of brown malt.  I
don't know about their amylase levels, but I suspect they are similar).  I
hope to do a porter with a large percentage of brown malt.

I also asked them some questions regarding the use of their oat malt (see
little chocolate malt "Domesday Ale") and got useful information regarding
its use.  Before I discovered Fawcett's oat malt (which I think may be
unique commercially), I malted my own for the Domesday Ale.  After several
months in the secondary, it is still murky.  I made a brown ale with 11%
Fawcett oat malt and it is slightly hazy.  This may be why the only oat
malt beer I know of is a stout.

The brown ale tastes very nice with a flavor that is present in the
Domesday Ale that I attribute to malted oats.  I've never tasted it
elsewhere.  It also has a bit of the oily rich mouthfeel that the Domesday
Ale has to the extent of about 10w40.  It has excellent head retention, so
worries about oil from oats destroying head are apparently unfounded.