hist-brewing: Cloudy Metheglyns.

Scott Mills smills at verinet.com
Fri Jan 22 10:05:08 PST 1999

>> [Brokk]  I've always used S. Ceriviseae(sp?) aka ordinary baking yest.

I would be willing to bet that this is where your cloudiness is coming from.
I would urge you to find a local homebrew store and get you some brewing
yeasts.  Bakers yeast just doesn't usually make as good a brew and it not as
alcohol tolerant as brewing yeasts.

The Bakers yeast is CHEAP and very available but if you have a local
homebrew store you can get brewers yeast relatively inexpensively.  The
baking yeasts  have been cultured to do their jobs quickly with no thought
to the alcohol production flavor profile of the alcohol produced,
flocculation, etc.  I would very strongly suggest you try a yeast intended
for brewing.

You will always find the Wyeast Sweet and Dry mead yeasts but I have mixed
feelings about them.  The Wyeast Sweet makes a GREAT mead but is a VERY slow
fermenter.  My AHA National gold medal mead was brewed with the Wyeast Sweet
mead yeast but ya gotta have plenty of time.  I don't think the Wyeast dry
is all that great a yeast.

You can get some dry yeasts of a brand called Lalvin that are relatively
inexpensive (under a dollar a pack) and work well.  The company that
produces them is Lallemand and you can read about their yeasts at
www.lallemand.com .  I have used their D47, EC-1118, and K1V-1116 yeasts
with good results in meads.

I have great respect for Whitelabs yeasts.  www.whitelabs.com.  Chris White
is a great guy and all of his products that I have ever used have been
top-notch.  He sells yeast cultures in plastic screw-top vials that are
ready to go.  No need to grow up a starter, just unscrew the lid and pitch
the yeast.  The yeast is a little expensive at around $6 a shot but ya get
what ya pay for and when you spread that money over a 5gal batch it isn't
all that much.  I have never used his mead yeast strains but have been
wanting to.  I have no doubt that his mead yeasts are the same exceptional
quality as his ale and lager yeasts.

All this said, if you are happy with your mead as it is, and don't mind the
cloudiness then don't change a thing.  it is the tastebuds that count.  At
the 1996 Ambrosia Adventure mead competition sponsored by the American Mead
Association I had the pleasure of tasting the Best-Of-Show mead.  It was an
absolutely astonishing traditional mead and was made with Fleishmans Bread
yeast by a novice meadmaker.  She had problems getting her mead to clear
also and resorted to putting the mead into 2-liter plastic soda bottles and
freezing it.  After a thaw she had a layer of gunk at the bottom of the
bottle and she siphoned the clear mead off the top.  It sure seems like a
lot of work but the mead was outstanding.

Happy Brewing,

Ld Eadric Anstapa
mka Scott Mills