hist-brewing: Use of Hops in English Brewing?

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Fri Jan 8 08:28:29 PST 1999

In her 2nd volume of _Anglo Saxon Food and Drink_, Ann Hagen makes
a strong case that hops were used in beer in Anglo Saxon England,
but the practice seems to have died off with the coming of the
Normans.  I've seen various dates for the (re-)introduction of
hops to England, but it was probably in the 15th or 16th century.
Don't know if that counts for "long before."

Hops were (probably) used in brewing on the continent, and were described
by Hildegard of Bingham in the 12th(?) century.  At that time, there
was no real distinction between the use of herbs and spices as medincinal
and as flavoring elements.

At 09:23 AM 1/8/99 -0600, you wrote:
>i have read an article in "Zymurgy that suggests that hops were used in
>brewing in England long before 1600.  Does anyone know if this is true?
>
>Thanks,
>

>Mike Hanson

>you get the digest.) To contact a human about problems, send mail to
>owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com

	Wade Hutchison
	whutchis at bucknell.edu
	Gille MacDhnouill
	Mountain Confederation/Abhainn Ciach Ghlais
	AEthelmearc