hist-brewing: The Bennett book

Beth Ann Snead ladypeyton at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 10:13:43 PST 1999

---George De Piro <gdepiro at fcc.net> wrote:

> Since many, including myself, have recently mentioned
> the book, _Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England_ by Judith
> Bennett, I figured that I would share some of my thoughts about
> the book.
>
> It is an interesting book, but the title may be a bit misleading.
> It is not really a book about beer or brewing.  Rather, it is a book
> about women's history.

Hmmm.  I was at the East Kingdom's Brewing Collegium (SCA for those of
us who are not Scadian) and was lucky enough to catch a class  on
Small Beers that was documented from this book.  I think the
usefullness of the book depends on one's ability to extrapolate
necessary information from period sources when exact recipes are not
available.

The URL was mentioned on this list once before so I will repeat it.
If Tofi is on this list then I apologize for my cheekiness.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pwp/tofi/13th_c_ale.html

Not one person who saw his documentation was unimpressed.

Beth Ann Snead
Lady Lettice Peyton in the East Kingdom of the SCA