hist-brewing: Pumpkin Pie Melomel

Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com
Thu Jan 7 05:55:17 PST 1999

"It seems to me Katerin is not trying to ferment the pumpkin, she's trying to
extract the flavor for her mead.  In that case, I would try cutting raw
pumpkin into half-inch cubes, and putting them in a tied-off hop bag in the
secondary
fermenter for a week or two."

By doing this, the starches are what would be extracted.  Outside of Lambics,
where starches are desirable, you never want to do anything that puts starches
in the fermenter.  Whether you are trying to extract the flavor or not,
starchy "adjuncts" MUST BE MASHED.  I see a lot of recipes on Cats Meow and
even in books that have extract recipes using flaked rye, pumpkin flesh,
Munich, Vienna, and other malts that require mashing.  By not mashing starchy
adjuncts, you are asking for trouble.  Steeping mash grains in the brew water
(which could be considered a very thin mash), or relying on diastatic malts
for conversion is risky business, especially if you are bottling something up
for long term storage.

Eric Fouch
Bent Dick YoctoBrewery
Kentwood MI