hist-brewing: A good Espen of Hops

Eric A. Rhude ateno at panix.com
Wed Jan 6 07:38:50 PST 1999

Nick Sasso asked:

> The question I have, though, is "What quantity is a 'good espen'?"

Though I dont have the refenence at work (shhh..)
A Espen is a full brewers spoon,  I would think
a wooden spoon about 3 - 4 ft long with a
proportional size spoon depression.

The would be big enough to stir with and
a decent amount of loose hops (at the
most an oz) to provide a bit of bittering
and such.

A vetern of making Gervase Markam Strong Ale
(and its great!!)

Eric Rhude