hist-brewing: Pumpkin Pie Melomel

Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com Eric.Fouch at steelcase.com
Wed Jan 6 07:07:38 PST 1999

Katarin-
How does your recipe have you treating the pumpkin?  Pumpkin is one of those
adjuncts you have to mash with active enzymes in order to get conversion of
the starches to sugars.
I quite often see beer recipes that tell people to put pumpkin in the
fermenter or use pumpkin in an extract batch.  If you are following a pumpkin
mead recipe, I strongly suspect you are getting a fermenter full of
unfermentable starches.  Yeast can't use starch, but bacteria can (infections,
bottle bombs).
Could I see the recipe you're using?

Eric Fouch
Bent Dick YoctoBrewery