hist-brewing: Pumpkin Pie Melomel

KatarinSCA at aol.com KatarinSCA at aol.com
Tue Jan 5 22:45:18 PST 1999

Greetings All -

Does any one have a good recipe for pumpkin pie melomel?  I've combined two
recipes that are not specific enough, twice and its still not working out how
I want.  I've been using either baked fresh pumpkin or canned plus all the
spices that normally go in pie (nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and maybe ginger)
plus a late fall honey that is unusually dark for Ohio.  I strain and rack and
strain and rack, so it doesn't matter if its messy.  OOP is okay, too.  The
first batch molded in the secondary (my own stupid fault on several fronts)
and the second is thus far very weak, too sweet, and still manages to be quite
sharp after 6-8 weeks in the secondary.  Anyone have a tried recipe?

Thanks,

Katarin