hist-brewing: looking for sources

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 5 11:47:57 PST 1999

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 BurrLoomis at aol.com wrote:

> 	As used in late Period, ale means "without hops" while beer means "with
> hops".

Could you please define "Period" in this context, given that my interest
in historical brewing--thus, my "period"--is roughly AD1500 to AD1900,
with emphasis upon the 18th century.

Thank you.

In the 18th century, "ale" in English was reserved for strong brews and
"beer" for the weaker, at least in some areas.