hist-brewing: suger substitution

Eylat Poliner allotta at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 30 21:26:43 PST 1998

Depending on what period you wish to brew.  Maple syrup is American.
Untill late into the colonial period, this was not imported to England.
American style Colonial beer and mead would most likely use maple syrup.

Granulated cane sugar was also a 17th century invention.  Cane syrup and
beet sugar could have been used during the Elisabethan and colonial
periods.  Beet sugar could have been used during medieval periods.

Mark