hist-brewing: looking for sources

Badger badger at nwlink.com
Tue Dec 29 12:14:27 PST 1998

Actually i have a reference from a reliable source that states that
hopes were used in beer...

>From Zymurgy article on the history of brewing...

"1079 AD: The abbess Hildegarde of St. Ruprechtsberg notes the
bacteriostatic power of hops, recording that beer flavored with hops
lasts longer than unhopped beer. Her Physica Sacra contains the oldest
known mention of hops in brewing."

Zymurgy Magazine, Summer 1998, "History in the Brewing" by Greg Kitsock
pg. 28-31, 89-90

Hope that helps...

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 BurrLoomis at aol.com

Brander (Badger) Roullett  email:badger at nwlink.com
Homepage: http://www.nwlink.com/~badger

SCA: Frederick Badger, AoA, Light of St. Bunstable, Green Leaf
Squire to Viscount Sir Nicholaus Barchatov
Pursuivant At Large, Senior Marshal