hist-brewing: looking for sources

Baden,Doug baden at oclc.org
Tue Dec 29 08:38:03 PST 1998

Hops have been used for beer as early as 1000 BC.  I have primary
documentation about that (The Kalevase (sp?)).  It was used by the
Scandinavian countries extensively all the way down through the Germanic
countries, where it was fought as a weed.  Hops have been called Germany's
answer to Kudzu.  I have seen hop plants on German city coats of arms from
as early as 800 AD.

The reason hops were not used was political, not practical.  The Church
owned the recipes for Gruit, which was dispensed by the Gruit Guilds, who
paid royalties to the Church and State.  There was a lot of money involved
in this and the powers that be protected their territory like a Terrier in
heat.  Thus the poem reported in Broode about hops and insurrection coming
to England in the same year.  They were just legalized.

As for using maple syrup in beer, it probably was sent back and used in very
late period, but I have nothing stated about it.  It could be presented as a
new adjunct brought back from the fledgling colonies where it is used in
their brews for the entertainment of the Lords and Ladies.  I have
introduced foods this way and documented them in the 1500's as used in the
colonies.

They made beer out of just about anything.  One look at the monastic records
reveals that even beans were fermented.

Doug Baden/Arundel

Doug Baden    My opinions are my own.
When I see "And it is obvious that" I know that
I have many hours of work to see the obvious...