hist-brewing: sugar substitution

The Crawleys crawley at worldchat.com
Tue Dec 29 06:37:19 PST 1998

Not sure how accurate my history is but to the best of my knowledge maple
sugar at least was a new world invention of the native first nation
peoples.
as for the age of mead its all a guessing game in most cases with purely
period style mead's.. I have had some come to perfection in as few as 2 or
3 months after bottling while others have taken as long as a year or more.
also be careful as I have also had many that came into a real fine taste
only to go off again after another couple months. my best advise is to keep
sampling until you feel it is at its peak and then if you want to hold over
a few bottles for extra aging to see what happens.. sometimes you will end
up with a product that is pure nectar of the gods and sometimes you will
use it to remove grease from engine parts

Percival de LaRocque