hist-brewing: suger substitution

BurrLoomis at aol.com BurrLoomis at aol.com
Tue Dec 29 05:38:32 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/28/98 7:41:38 PM EST, cucymry at mnic.net writes:

<< My history is foggy but I wonder if tree syrup specifically maple is period
 and if so would it had been used to make mead. Has anybody researched or
 tried this. Maybe I am way off base but there just must be more than honey.

	I've always thought of the sugar maple and maple syrup as American, but what
do I know?  That doesn't keep it from being used for brewing.  It is my
understanding that the First Immigrants (I won't use the term Native Americans
because they didn't evolve here anymore than we did) tapped sugar maples for
their sap, but I know nothing of how they processed that sap.
	I recently encountered instructions for making birch beer, which I had
understood was Norwegian, but they recommended using black birch (Betula
nigra) which grows beautifully here in the Gulf Coast South, but which I don't
recall ever seeing during my Michigan boyhood.

<< Second of all I like to announce my first mead was sampled today it was
 bottled 11/28 it still seems rough but OK. Is there a specific time to let
 age or perhaps a limit on how long mead should age?  >>
	Great meads (two pounds honey per gallon water) should age six months to a
year.  Weak meads (one pound honey per gallon water) are the ones usually
spiced or otherwise added to, and they are generally ready to drink after a
month.

	Good brewing,      Scotti