Fwd: Re: hist-brewing: looking for sources

Beth Ann Snead ladypeyton at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 28 09:04:42 PST 1998

<As usual I sent this a week or so ago by hitting "reply" and forgot
that, unlike my other mailing lists, that doesn't necessarily mean it
will go to hist-brew.  Here's a resend to the entire list>

I don't have any documentation that the distillation process existed
 before the fourteenth century.  So, you're looking at meads, wines,
 and probably ales but I don't do any research in the beer and ale
 department so don't quote me on the ales.  The first mention I have of
 distillation used in medical form is Arnald de Villanova's _Book of
 Wine_ circa @1309.  Does anyone else have any earlier information?

 As for proportions any modern book on kitchen cordials will be of help.

 Beth Ann

 ---Gary Henderson <cucymry at mnic.net> wrote:

 > Greetings to all . I am new to this field of study (consumption?)
 and I am