hist-brewing: looking for sources

Eylat Poliner allotta at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 22 21:21:30 PST 1998

As far as I have determined, in Europe at this time, there was no
distillation.  This was brought to Europe from the Middle East after the
Crusades.

Eisbock beer was developed by accident about 150 years ago.  This was a
form of distillation wherin beer is brought to below freezing.  The
water forms ice crystals.

Judicious filtering (or ladeling) of the crystals yealds a beer with a
higher alcohol level.
Modern steam distillation was started approximatelly around the end of
the Crusades.

Mark