hist-brewing: Oat malts and Domesday Ale update

AFlinsch at njeb.att.com AFlinsch at njeb.att.com
Mon Nov 9 04:30:33 PST 1998

On pwp at cs.cmu.edu, pwp at cs.cmu.edu wrote:
> < Cool beans!  I'll finally be able to order the stuff.  Of course, I'll be
> < doing the St. Paul's Ale, but what d'ye think they meant by "quarters"?
> < Is it the measure of volume that was used in the 15th and 16th centuries?
>
> A quarter was a dry measure of volume equal to 8 bushels.  According
> to Bennett, this was about 290 liters.  This vaguely matches the
> American Heritage Dictionary definition for bushel, which lists a
> modern US bushel at 35.24 liters, and a modern UK bushel at 36.37 l.
>
> I found a bushel to be a bit less than a 50-lbs sack of malt: 36 liters
> X 1.32 lbs/liter (my measurement) is 47.5 lbs.
>
> 		--Paul (Tofi)

A quarter is also used as a measurment of weight equal to 1/4 of a
hundredweight. Assuming the use of the Brithis hundredweight of 112 lbs,
this would work out to 28 lbs. I think we would need to know if they
were using quarters as dry measure or weight.

Alex V Flinsch
Wefos Bar - Bill Render Development
732-519-4843