hist-brewing: Oat malts and Domesday Ale update

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Fri Nov 6 10:38:51 PST 1998

At 1:22 PM -0500 11/6/98, pwp at cs.cmu.edu wrote:
>Jeff Renner <nerenner at umich.edu> writes:
<snip>
>Sounds really good!  22 lbs of grain for 3 gallons of ale is really
>close to the same amount of grain for the Clare household ale (about
>24 lbs. for 3 gallons, but 3/4 barley + 1/4 oats).

Can you give the the specifics of this ale?  Were the oats malted?  Have
you brewed such?

<snip>
>Okay, I have to ask this: why did you use a modern, temperature-
>controlled mash for such an old ale?  What both Eric Rhude and I found
>was that if you _slowly_ ladle boiling (or just recently boiling) water
>over the malt, and don't put in too much water, the temperature will
>come out about right for a hot infusion.  Between the sheer mass of
>all that grain and the heat up-take of introducing water into the
>malt, it should be just fine.

Well, this was my first try, and I was trying to recover a usable amount of
wort, and I was scared off by horror tales of oatmeal glue, especially with
the very variably (under)modified oatmalt I had.  Hence the beta glucan
rest.  Next time, especially if I use commerically malted oats, I will try
a more historically supportable mash schedule.  I have seen some reports
(here, I think) of mashing in a smallish amount of recently boiled water,
then adding more after a time, which might result in a kind of step
infusion.  I doubt that it would have resulted in a first temperature as
low as I had, though.  Of course, there may have been unreported (or
unknown to me) empirical discoveries by brewers of this time that would
have resulted in such a temperature rest.

But, as I say, next time I'll try the old fashioned way, and will
definitely make a braggot from runnings from a second mash.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan c/o nerenner at umich.edu