hist-brewing: Oat malts and Domesday Ale update

pwp at cs.cmu.edu pwp at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 6 10:22:23 PST 1998


Jeff Renner <nerenner at umich.edu> writes:

< "The monks of St Paul's Cathedral brewed 67,814 gallons of ale using 175
< quarters of barley, 175 quarters of wheat and 708 quarters of oats."  The
< Domesday of St. Paul's of the Year M.CC.XX.II by William Hale Hale [sic].
< 
< For a variety of reasons I ended up using 50% home malted oats, 25% malted
< wheat and 25% malted barley and a little chocolate, specifically, for 3+
< gallons of first run wort (just under 3 gallons in secondary) SG 1.096, 11
< lbs. oats, 5.5 lbs. wheat, 5.5 lbs. barley, 7 oz. chocolate malt.

Sounds really good!  22 lbs of grain for 3 gallons of ale is really
close to the same amount of grain for the Clare household ale (about
24 lbs. for 3 gallons, but 3/4 barley + 1/4 oats).

< The mash and runoff went well.  Mashed at 112F beta glucanase rest for for
< 60 minutes, ramped up to 154F over 20 minutes, held for 50 minutes, mashed
< off.  I could have made a second and third beer from either partigyle or
< sparging (a braggot from 2nd runnings would be nice), but chose not to for
< simplicity.

Okay, I have to ask this: why did you use a modern, temperature-
controlled mash for such an old ale?  What both Eric Rhude and I found
was that if you _slowly_ ladle boiling (or just recently boiling) water
over the malt, and don't put in too much water, the temperature will
come out about right for a hot infusion.  Between the sheer mass of
all that grain and the heat up-take of introducing water into the
malt, it should be just fine.

< Fermentation went rapidly with 2-1/2 oz. repitched Strathcona yeast and
< completed in three days.  There was very little kraeusen and the yeast,
< which normally forms a thick yeast pancake, never formed a head.  The new
< ale was murky.  I left behind a fair amount of ale due to thick sludge in
< primary - with no hops to filter the wort, a lot of trub was carried over
< from the boiler to the primary.  It has since settled out more but is still
< murky.  FG 1.032.

For my second batch of ale, I took Al Korzonas's suggestion for adding
the dregs from a bottle of Gueuze Cantillon (Lambic).  This, I
believe, gave the ale a *really* nasty under- and after-taste after 3
days of fermenting.  So my advice on that is don't do it unless you
intend to age your batch for a year or so (as Lambic is).  Since ale
was often served fresh, as in not many days old, this just doesn't
make any sense.

		--Paul

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send email to majordomo at pbm.com containing
the words "unsubscribe hist-brewing" (or unsubscribe hist-brewing-digest, if
you get the digest.) To contact a human about problems, send mail to
owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com



More information about the hist-brewing mailing list