hist-brewing: Mead in Old Ireland

Dan McFeeley mcfeeley at keynet.net
Fri Oct 23 22:45:47 PDT 1998

On a recent Mead Lovers Digest, Scott Murman sang the praises of his
lovely Irish lass and how he had brought her two handmade Irish goblets
from the Emerald Isle itself.  He wanted to further charm her with
an Irish style mead to fill the goblets with but was at a loss for
what an Irish mead might be like or how to make it.

In reply I mentioned that Gayre's book _Brewing Mead_ touched on the
significance of mead flavored with hazelnut to the Old Irish, but that's
all I was aware of.  Would anyone on this list know any more details
about hazelnut meads in Ireland?  Were there other styles or means of
making mead that could be considered uniquely Irish?  I have a personal
interest in this question also, as my last name might indicate.  :-)

Dan McFeeley
mcfeeley at keynet.net