hist-brewing: rescans

Spencer W Thomas spencer at engin.umich.edu
Mon Oct 5 20:11:15 PDT 1998

    Greg> You're out of luck - you need a translation from before 1923
    Greg> (in the US) or even earlier for Europe. If you go back you
    Greg> might be able to find one which is out of copyright.

Actually, it depends...  I just checked with our IP lawyer.  For the
US, the rules for stuff published between 1923 and 1978 are complex.

If the work was published "with notice" (c-in-a-circle date name) then
the rule is:

	28 years + could be renewed for
	47 years; if not so renewed, now
	in public domain

In this case the "if not so renewed" clause MIGHT apply.  But you'd
have to check with the copyright office to see whether it DOES.
(See http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm for a nice chart.)

=Spencer