hist-brewing: Re: Gutenbrew

Glenn Raudins raudins at ct.picker.com
Fri Oct 2 05:30:55 PDT 1998

It is nice to see the result of my post about reprinting these books!

Re: The discussions of OCR
I can't even imagine using OCR on some of these books.  Some of the
fonts/letter styles I have seen would make OCR drop dead as it appears
some have found already.

Re: Images of the Original Pages
I think it will be nice to have searchable text of these books, but I
hope people will also have the TIFs of the original pages.  I'm one of
those who doesn't like to read manuals on-line, and therefore would like
to print out the original pages.  My original hope was that it would be
possible to get scans of the original pages and somehow get them
reprinted in book form, available basicly for the cost of the printing.
Giving some of these texts back to the brewing community.  I realize
though that there will forever be a problem with trying to manage
getting books reprinted without someone abusing the privilege.  Maybe if
we had enough books together, we could do one printing that involved
them all.

Thanks to Jim, for having a project in the works to get the idea
rolling.

Glenn
raudins at ct.picker.com