hist-brewing: Creating online sources

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Sep 30 17:12:27 PDT 1998

Hello!  I am doing something similar to this idea with a 19th c. copy of Le
Menagier de Paris (a 14th c. book containing, among other things, culinary
recipes). Greg is posting it to his website.

At first I tried simply scanning the pages with Adobe Photoshop as .gifs or
jpgs, but the resolution necessary to make the text legible meant having
each page take up more than 1 MB of space.  Now I'm scanning the pages with
Textbridge Pro.  It has some problems with the fonts (necessitating that I
proofread every page), but has the benefit of recognizing 4 languages &
being able to save the document in html.

I've tried the same program on a 1790s edition of The Forme of Cury, but it
did not work well at all.  The fonts are too different from modern fonts, &
the text contains strange characters.

Having the info you mentioned available in the original, and in a
searchable annotated transcription, would be wonderful.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow
renfrow at skylands.net

Recipes"