bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Mon Sep 28 13:09:19 PDT 1998

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Badger wrote:

> "barrel" flavor..  my research (soemwhat limited) seems to point towards
> none, or limited oak flavor from barrels, as they would have been Pitch
> lined, or using a certain type of european ock which does not add much
> Oak flavor at all.  american oak appears to be the worst at adding Oak
> flavor..

Let us also not forget that barrels were re-used.  Thus, after a couple
of seasons, the "oak flavor" would be significantly diminished.  How old
are some of the vats in use in Lambic, Belgium?  I recall that the Nazis
confiscated several of them, and their return was part of the reparations
imposed upon Germany after WWII.