hist-brewing: to Malt or Not To Malt..

Owenbrau1 at aol.com Owenbrau1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 4 08:06:04 PDT 1998

> Given that caramel malt was invented in the mid-1800s, I would not have
>  made that particular choice.  Brown malt would have been less
>  historically inaccurate.

caramel was chosen because it was assumed that a portion of the malt deeper in
the pile in the kiln would still be damp when it reached the 150F range,
giving it a caramel-like character.

btw- Crisp malt is available in this country, at least to breweries; i just
got 220 lbs yesterday of thier Pale Malt. It came from Brewer's Wholesale in
RI ( i buypre-crushed) ; i imagine it is available to homebrew shops as well.

i don't know where the assumption that wheat is low enzyme came from; it is
well known commercially to be very high. the trouble with working with it is
that it has no husk, so you need to make sure you have enough husk material to
set up the mash bed properly. last year, "Brewing Technique" ran an article on
brewing with 100% wheat malt, using rice hulls to form the mash bed.

the problem with malting feed oats is that you don't know what kind of shape
the grain is in; the erratic germination could be because some of it was not
very healthy.

Owen ap Robert