hist-brewing: to Malt or Not To Malt..

ulfin at mail.portup.com ulfin at mail.portup.com
Thu Sep 3 20:31:38 PDT 1998

bryan wrote:

>A mixture of pale ale and brown malt might do this, but it's again hard to
>say.

How about amber malt?

>An English company (Crisp,
>is it?) still floor malts, but they use the Maris Otter cultivar--a most
>excellent cultivar, but one developed in the 19th or early 20th
>century.

Crisp's Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt is a separate product from
their Pale Ale Malt (which is also floor malted).  I don't know
off hand what barley variety they typically use for it, though.

Is Crisp available in the U.S. anymore?  L.D. Carlson used to be
their distributor, but they dropped Crisp a year ago.  (They did
keep importing the Crisp Maris Otter for awhile, but eventually
replaced it with Munton & Fison Maris Otter.)

Dan