hist-brewing: to Malt or Not To Malt..

Badger badger at nwlink.com
Thu Sep 3 11:05:40 PDT 1998

that is the question..

I was wondering if the wheat and oats that are called for in many period
brewing recipes are malted or unmalted...

the barley is malted, yes.  but the wheat, and oats?

and can anyone give me pointers for using the right type of malted grain
to simulate a period or close to period malt?

many thanks in advance!!

Lord Frederic Badger

Brander (Badger) Roullett  email:badger at nwlink.com
Homepage: http://www.nwlink.com/~badger

In the SCA I am known as....
Lord Frederick Badger of Amberhaven | Squire to Viscount Sir Nicholaus
Red Tree Pursuivant, Madrone | Champion, College of Saint Bunstable
Interests: Fighting, Fencing, Marshalling (Senior), Brewing, Costuming