FW: hist-brewing: stabilizing mead

John Purdy John_Purdy at Jabil.com
Thu Aug 20 05:23:10 PDT 1998

I've used sulfite before. (Camden tablets.) It's easy and convenient but
the last couple years I have tried to stick closer to natural processes.
Time. Make sure you get a good solid fermentation, add nutrients,
sugars, a more atennuative/tolerant yeast to your secondary, or some
combination there of, to insure a healthy secondary fermentation. I like
the still meads a little sweet so I usually follow the "add smaller
amounts of honey each time you rack until the yeasty-beasties just won't
eat no more" theory. And then let it sit in the carboy until I can't
stand it anymore and need the carboy to brew something else.

Now my question...How does sulfiting/sulfating fit in historically? I
mean, where did it start, and when? I am also led to believe that some
people react badly to it (headaches, hangovers) and that it can leave a
funky off-taste that takes a long time to dissipate. Has anyone noticed
that first-hand?

Mongo