hist-brewing: stabilizing mead

allotta allotta at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 19 16:06:58 PDT 1998

Wine stabilizers (sorbistat or sodium benzoate) will stop a renewed
fermentation.  However, it WILL NOT stop a fermentation already in
progress (even a slow one).  If fermentation is completely stopped (no
gravity drop over 1-2 weeks) than a stabilizer will stop a renewed
fermentation.
Your problem sounds like fermentation was still active, albeit slow, and
a stablilizer will not help.  Try 120 ppm  of sulfite at this point.
Let sit 1 day before bottling after sulfer and most of the sulfer will
dissipitate.  Then sorbistat will be useful.
What was the terminal gravity before bottling??  Maybe you had a stuck
fermentation.

Best     Mark