hist-brewing: stabilizing mead

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Wed Aug 19 06:52:54 PDT 1998

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Timothy Green wrote:

> Once your sure your mead has finished fermenting, you can add some Potassium
> Sorbate (trade name Sorbastat K) to it. I myself feel that it is better to

And this is a fairly safe substance, for those who might be worried.  It's
closely related to Tween20 and Tween80, common detergents found in ice
cream (polysorbate 20 and polysorbate 80).  The potassium sorbate (the "K"
probably stands for potassium) is more of a microstatic than a microcidal
agent--which translates to "generally less toxic".

> I have a sweet reasberry melomel in this secondary process right now, but I
> think I am going to have to rack it several times before I will be able to
> get it to clear. Although it is only 3 months old, it already tastes quite

There are also brewers' microfiltration setups, but they're on the pricey
side.