hist-brewing: stabilizing mead

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Wed Aug 19 06:47:51 PDT 1998

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Daryl Olson wrote:

> Also, anybody have any other advice for making sure my mead doesn't open
> itself before I'm ready to?

Use the most un-attenuative yeast you can find.  That will help somewhat.
A very un-historical, incredibly modern way to sweeten would be to add
some lactose--but then you not only violate the spirit of meadmaking (in
my curmudgeonly opinion), you also make the mead unavailable to the
lactose-intolerant.  Other than using a very unattenuative yeast and
keeping it cool, I can't think of any other natural methods to stabilize
a sweet mead, though.