hist-brewing: stabilizing mead

Timothy Green TimGreen at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 18 20:42:54 PDT 1998

Daryl,

Once your sure your mead has finished fermenting, you can add some Potassium
Sorbate (trade name Sorbastat K) to it. I myself feel that it is better to
let it sit in secondary for six or seven months after fermentation appears
to have stopped. I take a hydrometer reading every 30-60 days. When I get
the same reading 3 times in a row, I am pretty sure that it is done.

I have a sweet reasberry melomel in this secondary process right now, but I
think I am going to have to rack it several times before I will be able to
get it to clear. Although it is only 3 months old, it already tastes quite
good although a little raw. Another 6 months or so in secondarys should cure
that.

Tim Green

Mead is great...
Beer is good...