hist-brewing: Wine yeasts in Mead

allotta allotta at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 18 17:06:40 PDT 1998

After brewing meads for the last 6 years, and several award winning
meads, I feel I am quite knowledgable about this subjest.
Red Star years make an excellent mead.  I have had success with cote de
blanc, prisse de mousse and montrachet.  However I have heard that
montrachet could give a sulfery taste.
Fermentation temperature is important.  Stay in the 60-70 degree
range.   NO HIGHER.
Use a good yeast nutrient and extra diammonium phosphate (2
tablespoons/5 gallons is a good amount).
Wine yeast wil ferment slowerthan ale yeast, but the slower fermentation
will give a better mead.   Also, LET IT AGE!!!!!  If you get impatient
and drink before 6 months, it will not be at its best.   For mead 1-2
years is best.
I have 3 meads that have been in secondary fermenter for the last 1 1/2
years.  Don't intend to bottle for another 6 months.

Best,     Mark

P.S.  send me a sample.