hist-brewing: Mead

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 23 14:29:04 PDT 1998

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Henry James Jones wrote:

> a five or six gallon carboy. I am a little nervous about the siphoning
> part of brewing. I read you should not use your mouth because
> the bacteria from your mouth can infect the batch. Later that same day I

1:  When I was young and had no sense, I did use my mouth to start a
siphon--never got a batch infection.

2:  Now that I am a bit more cautious, I use the laws of physics to be my
siphon-starting slave.  Very simple to do, too:  I fill my tube with
water, hold both ends up so that it doesn't run out.  Plug one end.  Put
the other end into my carboy.  Put plugged end into destination tun,
remove plug.  Et voila!

> read it's okay to use your mouth. I also read that when you are adding
> honey to the water make sure the heat is not on  the honey could
> fall to the bottom of the pot and burn. But one recipe said make sure the
> water has come to a rolling boil before you add the honey. If anyone on

The rolling boil will, if you add the honey gradually enough, support it
off the bottom until it's dissolved.