hist-brewing: Mead

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Jul 23 14:03:44 PDT 1998

Henry James Jones said something that sounded like:
> I was wondering is there another way to separate the mead
> form the must after the first fermentation besides siphoning.
[...]
> I am a little nervous about the siphoning
> part of brewing. I read you should not use your mouth because
> the bacteria from your mouth can infect the batch. Later that same day I
> read it's okay to use your mouth.

This is true and not. Although you *can* infect the batch by this form
of siphoning, I never have, as well as others I know have done it
without. As well, you can siphon without using your mouth. Homebrew
stores sell little adaptors that will start a siphon for you. As well,
you can fill the hose with water to start the siphon.

> I also read that when you are adding
> honey to the water make sure the heat is not on  the honey could
> fall to the bottom of the pot and burn. But one recipe said make sure the
> water has come to a rolling boil before you add the honey.

There are several schools of thought on this one.

1) Don't every boil the honey cause it destroyes the flavor.
2) Boil the honey to get the protien (scum) out.
3) Simmer the honey to get the protien (scum) out.

Personally I do either 1 or 3. When you boil you have the risk of
carmelizing the honey. Simmering will pasteurize it without risk of
damage.

However if you do either of the heat methods, you do want to remove it
from heat while you pour the honey in. This is exactly for the reason
listed.

I hope that helps a little.

Ciao,