hist-brewing: Content-Type: text/plain

Mansfield, Scott Scott_Mansfield at uscs.com
Tue Jun 30 14:49:04 PDT 1998

I can take a whack at Grog:
"Properly, rum diluted with water. In 1740 Admiral Vernon, when
Commander in Chief West Indies, substituted watered down rum for the
neat spirit then issued to both officers and men. The Admiral was
nicknamed Old Grog from his Grogham coat and the name was thus
transferred to the new beverage. Originally issued twice daily (a
quarter pint of rum with a pint of water)  the ration....(my book is
missing some text here)... Grog rations to all ratings ended on 31 July
1970. Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable."

It doesn't look like it would prevent scurvy in this recipe; probably
wouldn't even ease the pain of tooth loss.

Scott Mansfield