hist-brewing: tibetan beer

allotta allotta at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 1 15:08:10 PDT 1998

Dear Evan,
Chang (jang & other) is usually produced from rice primarily.  Other
grains may be used, but in tibet and the orient, rice is the predominate
grain.   It is brewed similar to sake.  You need to make a jui (wort for
sake) similar to a Chinese, not Japanese variety.
I suggest you read Fred Eckert's book on sake.  Also Zymurgy had a
special issue 4 or 5 years ago regarding indeginious brews (chica,
chang, and others).
To convert the rice starches, you need koji (rice mold) which Eckert's
book has sources.  Wyeast has a sake yeast that may be appropiate.  If
you want to experiment, mix this with an ale or other speciality yeast
that Wyeast sells.
Good luck.  let me know when it's ready to drink.

Mark.