hist-brewing: tibetan beer

Arriano at aol.com Arriano at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 13:34:56 PDT 1998

Hi all,
I know that the dialogue here usually revolves around medieval beers from
Europe, but I have been having trouble getting information on a type of
ancient beer made in Tibet, Nepal and northern India.

It goes by a variety of names (chang, jang, etc.) and uses various grains, but
from what I understand it is the yeast cake that makes this specific beer
special. I understand it is still made in some places.

Does anyone have recipes or have more detailed information or know of a source
that would give me more info? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Evan
arriano at aol.com